Thanks for all of the great summer reading recommendations! Feel free to send more. Here are the books I’ve read this summer (so far anyway) and what’s on deck for the rest of the summer.
Use of Force, by Brad Thor
Part of the Scot Halvarth series. Halvarth is a former navy seal, transformed into a spy. Action packed, interesting insights into the biz of espionage and all the things we think are happening behind the scenes, but don’t want to ask. 4 stars.
Code Name Camelot, by David Archer
Part of the Noah Wolf series. Noah is a tough dude, with no emotions. This special characteristic allows him to act violently with no remorse. But it’s a two edged sword. 3 stars.
Testimony, by Scott Turow
A legal thriller with interesting twists. Bill ten Boom changes his life and takes a position as a prosecutor for the International Criminal Court. His first case is the investigation of into the disappearance of a refugee camp. 5 stars
Camino Island, by John Grisham
A gang of thieves steal irreplaceable and priceless items from Princeton University. An novelist, Mercer Mann, is pulled into the intrigue. 4.5 Stars.
The Stranger, by Albert Camus
An ordinary man, is drawn into a murder on an Algerian beach. 3.5 stars
On my “To Read” stack:
The Tender Bar by JR Moerhinger – Thanks to Jake Brand PI subscriber Stephanie who suggested this book.
What’s on your stack of books to read over the summer? M. wants your summer reading recommendations and to spice things up, he’s offering to give away a copy of one of his books for his favorite recommendation (paperback, ebook or audiobook). Check out what he has been reading lately below and use the form to send him a book recommendation. If he picks your suggested book, we’ll email you to let you know you’ve won. And YES there could be multiple winners so suggest away!
What author M. Louis has been reading lately:
Currently reading: “She”, by H. Rider Haggard, I’m lovin it so far.
- An Innocent Client by Scott Pratt. Nice beach read, 4 stars.
- Beneath a Scarlet Sky, by Mark Sullivan. Incredible true story about a young Italian man surviving world war II in a heroic fashion, 5 stars.
- The Secret Wife, by Gill Paul. I loved this. Parallel love stories stretched over time and entwined, 5 stars. My recent favorite.
- Departure, entertaining sci fi about unintended consequences, 4 Stars.
- A Criminal Defense, Nice beach read, 4 stars.
- I read 6+ John Le Carre books (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, etc.) all excellent books depicting George Smiley as an unassuming but effective spy for the British during the cold war. 4-5 stars.
- The Revenant, by Michael Punke, better than the movie, helped with timeline, 5 stars.
- Almayer’s Folly, by Joseph Conrad, Intriguing depiction of an unusual spot in the world where cultures clashed in the 1800s. 5 stars.
- Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty. One of those books that succeeds on the screen as well. Murder in an affluent neighborhood. 5 stars.
- I read several Raymond Chandler books, (Farewell by Lovely). Kind of loses itself in todays world, ie socially insensitive to be mild. 3 stars.
Wait for it…
there are donuts involved.
Secondhand Smoke – Jake Brand PI book 2 – by M. Louis – Available on Amazon (free on Kindle Unlimited / 2.99 ebook) and these fine Indie Bookstores:
Boulder Book Store
1107 Pearl Street (on the Pearl St. Mall)
Boulder Bookstore Online
Annie Bloom’s Books
7834 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
1714 NE Broadway
Portland, OR 97232
We just can’t get enough of this giving away books thing! A few digital copies of Angel’s Devil are still available on the website and now we’ve gone and set up another giveaway on Goodreads too! From now until February 15th, you can enter to win a paperback copy of Secondhand Smoke. (For US addresses only – if you think we should do a giveaway that includes your country, Tweet to M. or post on his Facebook page.)
If you like: Robert Crais, Janet Evanovich, Robert B. Parker, Carl Hiassen and/or Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling), you’ll enjoy the Jake Brand PI series.
Enter here: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/169766-secondhand-smoke
Every time you share this post, and Angel gets her wings and a Devil gets peeved.
Win a copy of Jake Brand PI book 2 on Goodreads! Contest ends October 26th.
No strings attached – all free. Win/Win!
In honor of the upcoming publication of book 2 of the Jake Brand PI series – Secondhand Smoke I’m giving away digital copies of Angel’s Devil (Book 1). You might be thinking – Why free? Does this book suck? Is it really free?
Why free? I want to get you hooked on this crime / thriller series that has been called “…intriguing and entertaining,” by Foreward reviews. The first one’s always free right? But be warned these books have been known to make you laugh, have you staying up reading later than you planned and wanting to grab a drink with the characters.
Does this book suck? No. Most emphatically NO! It’s been rated 4.8 stars out of 5 on Amazon and that’s not just reviews from my friends and family; these are people who coughed up good money for their reading experience and then said nice things about it:
“From page to page, I never knew what would happen next – just what a reader wants. Jake’s personal devil and angel each gave him advice on the run, but Jake had to make the final decisions. Highly entertaining.” ~Sarah H
Is it really free? Yes – you just need to subscribe to my email updates. I promise not to spam you, send loads of stupid emails or do anything with your email address besides send you the occasional update on Jake Brand books and events. Scouts honor.
So go get your free copy of Angel’s Devil – if you don’t love it, I’ll give you your money back. 😉 http://mlouisbooks.com/free/